Friday 18 August 2017

Happy Birthday Gorgeous For JAI #373

This week has really flown and the Spring blossoms are popping out which is so lovely!! Even more than usual the "Four Seasons In One Day" that Melbourne is well known for is really apparent too - so Spring is definitely coming- woo hoo!


And just in time for the weekend we have a fabulous fun new challenge at Just Add Ink for you! This week Karren has suggested we Just Add Stencils to our projects. Such a lot of scope for using ink or paste or even making your own stencil to use.  As always the design team have created a wonderful array of projects to inspire you so I hope you can take a moment and pop on over and take a look and maybe join us :-)


This last week I've been enjoying the new Rainbow Maker class at Online Card Classes. Day 5 featured using stenciling to make a Rainbow and my card idea was born, lol!  Jennifer McGuire used her Zig Clean Color markers to create a rainbow on Bristol card stock as it is a heavier weight, to take all the ink. As I happened to have some of both I just had to give this a try and I must admit, am loving the results :-) I did also try this with regular Thick White card stock - but the colours didn't blend but I'm sure that water colour paper would work if you wanted to give this a go.


I first did some block colouring with the Zigs and spritzed with water to enable the colours to blend - just hold the paper horizontally so the colours don't run into each other from top to bottom or you could end up with a brown mess lol!
Once it was completely dry it was time to find a stencil.... I went with one from the retired Happy Patterns set from a few years back and applied as light a coat of embossing paste as I could. There must be some water in the paste as the colour from the Zigs - although dry - reacts and colours it in places - giving a lovely opaque look which was what I was hoping for :-)


Once it was all dry, I added the 3 layers of the die cut sentiment over vellum with a sprinkle of sequins to finish as it didn't seem to need anything else :-) 

Card stock: Whisper White (thick), Vellum
Accessories: Big Shot, Happy Birthday Thinlits, Embossing Paste, Happy Patterns Decorative masks.
Non SU: Bristol card stock, Zig Clean Color Brush Markers, Stitched circle Die (SSS), Sequins - PPP

Thanks for stopping by today and I hope that you can take a moment and pop on over to Just Add Ink and see all the fabulous inspiration from our lovely design team and I look forward to seeing what you will create with Stencils as your main focus this week :-)

Happy stamping until next time,

Jan

11 comments:

  1. Very nice that you're seeing signs of spring, because we sure aren't :( it's been bitterly cold in Canberra this past few days & honestly miserable.

    Your card is so vibrant, Jan. I love the rainbow of colours you've used here. I don't have any of the Bristol paper so I haven't tried this technique yet (actually I am yet to even start my Rainbow Maker class lessons). What a stunning result! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome Jan! Love how it turns out Per a Kristina Werner video I watched late last year, she confirmed that if you use embossing paste over die inks, they ink colors will leach into the paste. But that's great if it turns out as beautifully as your card did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowsers! Such a vibrant and striking background, Jan. I love the bright, vivid colours you have used, and in such a creative way. Love the paste over the colouring and the vellum under the Happy Birthday die, such stunning details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your rainbow background looks fabulous and the white sentiment is the perfect touch! Gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun, fresh and vibrant Jan. Fab background for the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous effect Jan! I love that the paste absorbed some colouring, its a very cool look! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a bright, happy card! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This card is so stunning Jan. I just love how bright and vibrant it is. You have done an amazing job xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so vibrant and fun! I love how the paste tones down the colours but it's so effective. Awesome card!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I love the colour scheme you've used Jan! It pairs so well with the white stencilling xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. The colours are gorgeously vibrant Jan! Love the rainbow - they just instantly make you happy don't they! The embossed pattern over the top adds just the perfect amount of fabulous texture. xxx

    ReplyDelete