Thursday 21 November 2013

Multimedia project

A few weeks ago our parish Priest was talking about how when asked to bless a home he "always looks for a crucifix in the bedrooms". I thought about this….I could've gone out and bought a "traditional' one if I 'd wanted but I thought I could make one.  I had a triplet of Canvases on a bedroom wall that I was looking at changing to something more colourful so I decided to combine the two projects. I've used just one of the three canvases and initially painted it white to cover the old (Ikea) image and that means I have two left over to use elsewhere!
Next I took a little time to create a background for the Easter scene - bear in mind that although I think can use a stamp I have NEVER even suggested I can draw (or paint for that matter!!)
Unfortunately the mountains really do look quite amateurish but the sky at least has some depth to it.
I decided to experiment with a new product to me - Modge Podge (MP) by Tim Holts. it is a little similar to Crystal Effects in that it is to be used as a clear lacquer. Except it goes on white, is a fair bit thinner and therefore dries quicker. I picked up some sticks from the Park for the Cross and applied a layer of MP and when dry then used some Hemp Twine to tie the Cross together and then used another layer of MP including over the Twine to secure the shape before layering on top of some Burlap Ribbon.



For the main Butterfly I used the Swallowtail stamp and embossed it with Cherry Cobbler EP onto card stock. To colour I used Encore silver ink - applied with a Blender Pen, and Marina Mist and Cherry Cobbler markers.
Then came the task of trying to create different words from the three available with the Expressions thinlits which are "Thankful, Merry" and "love"
I wanted to have :faith, hope and love…
Love was easy of course:

it was the other two words that required a little creativity! For "faith" I used the "f", "a" and "th" from "thankful". The "i" used part of the "u" from the same word and I punched a dot with a handheld punch.


Hope was the trickiest of all to create!! I used the "h" from thankful and the "o" and "e" from "love". the "p" used part of the "f"(the lower half)  and then I used the "a" upside down AND back to front on top!! Hope was cut from Cherry Cobbler card stock and then a layer of MP applied before adhering to the canvas. The other two words were cut from Foil card stock.


The other butterfly bases are glimmer paper cut with the Beautiful Butterflies Bigz die and the smaller butterflies are stamped with the Papillon Potpourri set - stamped in both Versamark and coloured inks and then clear embossed. They are also covered with a layer of Modge Podge before being applied to the middle of the larger ones with dimensionals.



Materials: Paint - Coral Blue Structure, White Structure and Australian yellow green Structure and Grass Green Structure, Modge Podge
Garden sticks!

SU! products:
Card stock: Whisper white ( all butterflies), Gold and Silver Foil, Red, Gold and Silver Glimmer paper, Cherry Cobbler
Stamps: Swallowtail, Papillon Potpourri
Inks: Marina Mist, Cherry Cobbler, Pacific Point, Encore Sliver, Versamark
Accessories: Big Shot, Expressions Thinlits, Hemp Twine, Beautiful butterflies Bigz die,  Cherry Cobbler and Clear Embossing powders, Blender pens

Happy stamping until next time,

Jan


2 comments:

  1. Stamping in home decor. It looks really good Jan and full of meaning! Enjoy it!!! - Katerina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Katerina! I love that the metallic foil and butterflies look different in the day and night lights

    ReplyDelete