Monday 17 March 2014

Zoe's Card in a Box

Today's card is a special one for my youngest Niece whose birthday is coming up very soon. It did take me a little while -  but good things DO take time as they say :-) And I wanted this to co-ordinate with her present which I think it does now.
 For all my Nieces (and Nephew:-) ) I have splurged on special bed linen for their second birthday for when they might move from a cot to a bed and so Zoe's present is in keeping with this little tradition. When I was growing up in New Zealand, my Nana gave each grandchild a Sheepskin when they were born ( yeah, I can hear the Aussie's laughing already…they always have us Kiwi's on about our sheep!) So anyway, this is my way of updating the tradition - without the sheep  :-)


(Click on the photos for a closer look)

So the bed linen here is from Adairs Kids, a fabulous place for kids of all ages and here we have a quilt cover set in what appears to be Coastal Cabana and Melon Mambo featuring an Owl and flowers of different colours. And I found a co-ordinating cushion ( cos we all need one :-) ) with "I (heart) u " 

For the Card In a Box, I used the excellent video tutorial available from Tanya Bell another Australian Demo and you can see other Cards in a box I have made here too.



For the base of the box I used Baked Brown Sugar card and then added a layer of Crumb cake card that I stamped with the Hardwood stamp in the Baked Brown Sugar Ink to make the wood effect - really looks like he is in a tree house! I so love this stamp it is so versatile!!
Next I went to my Label card Thinlits for the "I (heart) U " die cut - so many accessories and this one is ON the CUSHION!!  And the little coastal cabana heart on top is from the Owl Punch.
Although you can't see them, on the Quilt cover there are Yellow and red and orange flowers and these resembled the Posy Punch (Retired Hostess) set so I stamped these in Daffodil Delight, Melon Mambo and Tangerine Tango and punched out with the Fancy Flower punch and various scallop and circle punches. 


For the little Owls… they are made with the owl Builder punch and have added the wings using the Bird Punch. The pool party DSP here (Retro Fresh) is little Pool Party spots like the one on the bed and I used the Subtles Stack for the Pink Pirouette DSP too.

Card stock: Baked Brown Sugar, Crumb Cake, Melon Mambo, Coastal Cabana, Whisper White
Designer Series Paper: Retro Fresh, Subtles Stack
Inks: Melon Mambo, Daffodil Delight, Tangerine Tango
Stamps: Hardwood, Just Sayin, Posy Punch
Accessories: Big Shot, Label Card Thinlit, Word Bubbles Framelits, Little Leaves die, Timeless Type Alphabet Dies (Retired), Fancy Flower Punch, 11/4" Scallop Puch, 3/4" Circle Punch, Heart Punch (retired), Owl Builder Punch, Bird Builder Punch

Now I know little Zoe is still a bit too young to really appreciate this card but I think she still might like it - and so might her Mum and Dad :-) On the back of the box I used a "Talking Tag" where if you download the free App, you can record a 1 minute message and then the recipient downloads the App to play the message. Pretty cool eh! And pretty fun for a 2 year old to hear too :-) 
So I hope you feel inspired to try these Cards in a Box they are lots of fun to make and to give :-)

Happy stamping until next time,

Jan






3 comments:

  1. Amazingly gorgeous card Jan!!! It shows off the hardwood stamp to perfection. Love the colours and most of all the fact that the card matches the present!!! I can see your niece opening & closing the card so the owls can appear!! - Katerina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Katerina! It's such fun to create a card to go with a present too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is definitely an eye catcher card! How awesome would it be to receive this in the mail?? *Ü* Super cute and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete